Easy weekday lunches can be healthy and delicious. Let everyone pick their own toppings for a meal that will get devoured.
4 whole wheat pita rounds, store bought or recipe in notes
1 cup vegetarian refried beans
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Toppings: cherry tomato halves, shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced scallions, sliced avocado, sliced radishes, sour cream, hot sauce
Preheat oven to broil
Place 4 pita rounds on a baking sheet and spread 1/4 cup of refried beans on each one
Top with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
Broil until cheese starts to bubble up
Remove from oven and top with any toppings that make you happy today
Homemade pita rounds (makes 12-14)
1.5 cups warm water (bathwater temp)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons active dry yeast (or instant yeast)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups bread flour, AP works too
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1. In a large mixing bowl, add water, sugar, and yeast. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes. If using instant yeast, you can eliminate this step and mix everything together at once.
2. Add olive oil, salt, and both flours. Stir together and knead gently in the bowl until the dough forms a smooth ball, adding more flour if you need to keep it from sticking on your hands.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 hours.
4. Preheat the oven to 500°F and divide the dough into 12-15 balls, depending on how big you want your pita rounds. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
5. On a floured surface, roll out each round until it is 1/4″ thick and place on baking sheet
6. Bake in the oven until they start to puff up, are slightly brown on top, or both.
7. Repeat until you have baked all the pita rounds.
*Nutrition info is without toppings