Have you ever heard of a blender muffin? Let me introduce you to the absolute easiest way to mix up a muffin batter. Everything goes into a blender, or a food processor and then into your muffin tin – bake and done! It really couldn’t be easier.
I love these banana muffins for a few reasons and to my surprise, my oldest daughter loves them too.
- They don’t have any added sugar. Breakfast is tough in our house – my kids goes through phases where they love cereal and I don’t. Too much sugar. I try hard and keep sugar to a minimum at breakfast, mainly for myself – but ideally for everyone else in my house too. The subtle sweetness in these muffins comes from the ripe bananas and the prunes. These taste more like a bran muffin and not a super sweet packaged muffin – those pack a lot of sugar
- The fiber in this muffin is out of this world. I don’t do a nutrient analysis on every recipe, but let’s take stock of what’s in this one – whole grain oats, bananas, prunes, and walnuts – killing it on the fiber here.
- You can feel good about adding more flavor. My daughter loves to spread cream cheese on hers, but it’s okay to add a little jam for sweetness too. I personally like a little spread of peanut butter – I love the layering of flavor.
If you are in a breakfast rut, or have crazy busy mornings, give these a try. They last a week in the fridge, which makes them the perfect make ahead recipe.
Don’t like walnuts? They are a source of omega-3 fatty acids, so give them a try, even if it’s for health purposes only, you might like them.
Here are some ideas for additional add-ins:
- Plump raisins
- Dried cherries
- Chopped pistachios
- Mini chocolate chips (added sugar – but don’t stress over it)
- Add peanut butter to the batter
- Mix in granola for crunch
Let me know how you like them.
No Added Sugar Blender Banana Nut Muffins
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 25 mins
Serves: 12 muffinsIngredients
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 12 prunes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- non-stick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add all ingredients, except walnuts and cooking spray, into the blender or food processor in the order listed
- Blend until smooth
- Gently stir in walnuts
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray
- Fill each muffin cup three-quarters full with batter
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Remove immediately from muffin tin and set on a cooling rack to cool