It’s the day after Christmas and I feel like I’ve eaten my weight in delectable treats and cheese…there was so much cheese. My head is no longer clouded with thoughts of antipasto platters and dessert bars and all of the foods I only eat once a year. I was back at the gym this morning and ready to go. I still like to have a treat now and then, but definitely something healthier than I have been eating. These peanut butter chocolate energy bars with whole grains are perfect for a post workout snack or a snack on the go.
When I was thinking about this recipe, I wanted to pack a lot of fiber in it. I feel like that’s something I’ve been missing out on with all of the desserts and cheese I’ve been eating lately. Did you know you should have 25 grams of fiber per day if you are a woman and 38 grams per day for men? That may not seem like a lot, but considering most of us don’t even get half of that – it’s quite the accomplishment if you get the recommended amount.
These bars are packed with whole grains, aka: fiber, from the oats, graham crackers, and flaxseed meal. You get 3 grams of fiber per bar, that’s good for a little energy bar. There are a few tips for making these perfect:
- Grind the oats and graham crackers fine
- Pack the peanut butter mixture in the pan firm – this rule holds true for any energy or homemade granola bar. The tighter the mixture gets packed, the better it stays together when it sets
- Let this chill completely. The chocolate needs to harden and the coconut oil needs to firm up the bars.
These are great to pack in a lunchbox, for a hike, or just to have at home for a post-workout snack.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bars with Whole Grains
Author: Sarah Pflugradt
Prep time: 2 hours 10 mins
Total time: 2 hours 10 mins
Serves: 12 bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 6 sheets graham crackers
- 1 cup no sugar added peanut butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a food processor, add oats and graham crackers and pulse until ground into crumbs
- In a mixing bowl, add oats and graham crackers, peanut butter, sugar, coconut oil, and flaxseed meal
- Stir until it comes together
- In an 8×8 dish add peanut butter mixture and press down firmly on the mixture in an even layer
- In a microwave safe bowl, add chocolate chips
- Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, stir, and heat for another 20 seconds and stir until melted
- Pour melted chocolate over peanut butter mixture and carefully spread out into an even layer
- Chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to firm up the bars
- Cut into 12 even pieces
[…] Whole Grain Peanut Butter Chocolate Energy Bars – Sarah Pflugradt, MS, RD […]