Back to school is upon us and that means lunch packing! I really wish school lunches were healthier, because packing lunches is not one of my favorite morning activities. So, until the USDA can get their act together with school lunches, I will pack.
We’ve been making our own ranch dip for a LONG time and I had it up on my blog at one point, but the pictures were horrendous, so it came down a while ago. It’s super easy and takes 10 minutes, so there are no “no time” excuses here.
So, what are my favorite nutritional benefits from this dip:
- Greek yogurt instead of sour cream means more protein and calcium
- Spices instead of chemicals. There are a ton of preservatives in ranch dip – this one has none
- No trans fat. Shelf stable dips often have hydrogenated oils which makes them last longer – none here.
This is perfect to portion out into individual servings for lunches. This is a great way to get more veggies in your diet, or your children’s diets during lunch time. I often find it easy to pack fruit, but veggies are tougher.
You’re going to love this!
Homemade Ranch Dip
Author: Sarah Pflugradt
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 10 mins
Serves: 6 servings
- 1, 6 ounce container 2% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours for the flavors to combine
- Serve with sliced or cut vegetables
- Store in refrigerator for up to 5 days