Sausage and peppers is usually made into a sandwich, but it’s one of my favorite quick main dish meals. The flavor stands alone if you don’t want or need the bread. I’m pretty sure I’ve coined myself as the queen of quick weeknight meals. It’s what I do every night and for weekend lunches.
I’ve had many people ask me to teach them how to cook. Cooking is something that takes practice, just like anything else you’d like to do well. It takes experimenting, it takes failure, and it takes doing something over and over again, until you feel the ultimate confidence.
There are definitely times when I try something new and pray that it turns out okay, so I don’t have to resort to a back up dinner. That’s how I learn and continue to learn. Easy meals like this are confident boosters. It takes no skill at all and it’s a delicious base meal for many different types of dinners.
Take this one meal and add one or more ingredients to change it up:
- Add a fried egg on top for a “breakfast for dinner” feel
- Add a toasted hoagie roll for the traditional sausage and peppers sandwich
- Add parmesan cheese and toasted breadcrumbs to the top, put in a casserole dish and stick it under the broiler for a few minutes until golden brown
I always say, you are only limited by your imagination. This is why I use my kids so much. As adults, we often talk ourselves out of imaginative ideas. We think that we wouldn’t like it, or someone else wouldn’t like it, but most of all, we are all scared of failure. Kids don’t have those same feelings. They are ready to try everything and their brains are often so much more imaginative than adults. Ask a kid for an idea, you might like what they have to say.
For this dish, use as many different types of peppers as you can find. I used red and green bell peppers and poblanos. I love poblano peppers, they are super mild. I also add sweet onions, because I love onions.
Turkey Sausage and Peppers
Author: Sarah Pflugradt
Cook time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 4-6 servings
- 6 turkey sausages (or one per person)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut into thin slices
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into thin slices
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Cook the sausages according to the package directions. When cooked, remove from heat and cut into bite sized pieces
- While sausages are cooking, cut up all peppers
- If you cooked the sausages in a pan, use the same pan to cook the peppers
- Heat the pan over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add all of the sliced peppers and onions and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every couple of minutes
- Add the sliced sausages back into the peppers, turn off the heat and add the lime, salt, garlic powder, and oregano
- Sprinkle fresh cilantro over the top
- Serve warm