Here’s a salad I never tire of. Apple, walnut, and blue cheese salad with balsamic vinaigrette is pretty much a perfect addition to any meal. We had this salad a few nights ago with BBQ and I was giddy with happiness at the addition of this salad and another farro salad. BBQ sides don’t have to be unhealthy and fried – they can be nutritious and full of flavor.
This salad comes together so quickly and is a substantial side for 5 people. It is also a salad that is easy with substitutions.
Here are the main ingredients and ideas for subs:
- Romaine Lettuce: Don’t sub this out. You need the crunch.
- Walnuts: Could swap out for pecans or pistachios
- Apples: Try swapping with jicama
- Dried Cranberries: Could swap for dried cherries
- Blue cheese: Try feta or small bite sized pieces of white cheddar (this would taste amazing with the apples BTW).
- Balsamic Vinaigrette: My gut says to leave this alone – you could do a flavored balsamic or a white balsamic.
In the summer, it’s so important to take advantage of really good produce and I love the crispy greens during the summertime. Not only are they good for you, they are also refreshing because of their high water content. So, when you pile on the greens, you are also getting a little extra kick of hydration – bonus!
Try this one out at your next meal!Print
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon herbs de Provence
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1, 10 ounce bag chopped Romaine lettuce
1 apple (gala, honeycrisp, or fuji all work well), chopped into 1/4” cubes
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/4 cup dried cranberries
To make the dressing – add the balsamic vinaigrette ingredients to a small covered container and shake. Set aside
Assemble the salad – Add all of the lettuce into a serving bowl and toss with 1/2 of the dressing.
To the top of the lettuce, add the chopped apple, walnuts, blue cheese crumbles and cranberries.
Drizzle the remaining dressing on top and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes